Published on March 31 2007

....A glorious day outside--even if it is a bit cloudy-- and here I am doing a midterm exam. With Key Lime Bars in the oven. I haven't baked in months. Posting the pic of the Swedish Chef must be what did it. Børk! Børk! Børk!. Life is good.

See comments

Written by admin

Published on #Pics and Babbling, #School

Repost0

Published on March 30 2007

#1 child mentioned how she'd like to go on a shopping trip to a large nearby metropolis in search of good cheap furniture. Since I am (sorta) back in the need-some-furniture mode myself, I visited the website she mentioned and ordered a catalog. swedish-chef.jpgWhen it arrived a couple days ago, I threw it aside until I had a chance to sit with a cuppa joe and give it a proper thumb-thru. I think I have fallen in love with Swedish minimalist style, even though it will never replace my first love: Mission/ Craftsman/Stickley/Eastlake/Arts & Crafts/Morris. Stuff like this. Or this. Still, in my first 10-minute perusal of the catalog, I have completely furnished three rooms of my house, even though the names like Lycksele, Bankeryd, and Akurum leave me feeling like I should have state-funded free healthcare. I'm also starting to sound like this guy. "Børk! Børk! Børk!" Think we could convince Ikea to open a store a little closer than a 4 hours' drive away??? I'm afraid it could become a second home.

See comments

Written by admin

Published on #Family&038;Friends, #Pics and Babbling

Repost0

Published on March 29 2007

Ask a Ninja, OK Go win YouTube Awards - CNN.com
EW YORK (AP) -- The video series "Ask a Ninja" and OK Go's treadmill-choreographed music video are among the winners in the first YouTube Video Awards. The power pop band OK Go, perhaps the most professional of the mostly amateur nominees, won most creative video for their "Here It Goes Again" music video.
I don't really care for the tune, but this is one of the most fun videos I've seen in awhile. Meant to blog it awhile back when I first saw it. I keep thinking "If I tried some of those moves, they'd be picking me up off the floor behind the 'mills". But I am a little klutzier than most. ;-)

See comments

Written by admin

Published on #music, #Pics and Babbling, #video

Repost0

Published on March 28 2007

Yes. This is what a flight out of Milwaukee's General Mitchell airport looks like when the flight is cancelled!!!!!! Hertz is good.
view.JPG
On the other hand, I am now the proud possessor of a roundtrip ticket to anywhere in the US that that particular airline flies. Pretty cool!! :-D P.S. Even though I am still not happy about the flight getting cancelled, etc.--if this airline doesn't give me all sorts of grief about using the free voucher, I will be one very happy customer and will talk them up all over the place. How's that for some good advertising?

See comments

Written by admin

Published on #Pics and Babbling

Repost0

Published on March 26 2007

There is just something wrong about cocoa and cinnamon-spiced chili on top of spaghetti. The hot sauce helped, though. Tomorrow morning, I get grits!!!!  Woo-hooo!

See comments

Written by admin

Published on #Pics and Babbling

Repost0

Published on March 26 2007

I really dislike airports. Especially sitting in one for four hours waiting for connecting flights. Somebody call and distract me. Please. :-w ...... No call. Thanks tons, guys. Off to do laps and find a Starbucks. K, that didn't take long. So, while we wait, let's do the weekly horrorscope!
This week March 26 through April 1 Libra Monday your public persona and reputation should rise to new levels, thanks to your efforts in the community you live in. Wednesday a friend may confront family members over an inheritance, and he or she may come to you for advice, since you are known for your diplomacy and negotiating skills. You might not want to offer your friend guidance, since the matter at hand might be complex and the emotions involved very strong. Sunday the Moon moves into your own sign, and you should have a feeling of good vibrations that you carry around with you all day long.
Inheritance, eh? "diplomacy and negotiating skills". This oughta be good. Can you tell I am bored?

See comments

Written by admin

Published on #'Sconsin stuff, #Pics and Babbling

Repost0

Published on March 25 2007

DefenseLink News Article: Medal of Honor Heroes Set the Standard, England Says
WASHINGTON, March 22, 2007 – Medal of Honor recipients are heroes, despite their many humble objections to the label, and are important to the fabric of our society, Deputy Defense Secretary Gordon England told those gathered yesterday to celebrate the official naming of March 25 as National Medal of Honor Day. Congress this month designated March 25 each year as National Medal of Honor Day. The day is significant as the day the first Medal of Honor was presented in 1863. ......... Since 1863, 3,444 servicemembers have received the nation's highest military honor for courage under fire. There are 112 recipients living today.
It is more than past time that they had a Day of their own. I've been privileged enough to know a MOH recipient personally, growing up with his kids, once ferrying him down Main Street at the head of the Independence Day celebration here in town. Remember that, Shawny?

See comments

Written by admin

Published on #Current Affairs

Repost0

Published on March 24 2007

7-Day Forecast for Latitude 39.98N and Longitude -82.97W
Monday Chance Thunderstorms. Chance for Measurable Precipitation 30% Chance Tstms Hi 80°F Monday Night Chance Thunderstorms. Chance for Measurable Precipitation 30% Chance Tstms Lo 56°F Tuesday Chance Thunderstorms. Chance for Measurable Precipitation 40% Chance Tstms Hi 78°F Tuesday Night Chance Thunderstorms. Chance for Measurable Precipitation 30% Chance Tstms Lo 55°F Wednesday Chance Thunderstorms. Chance for Measurable Precipitation 40% Chance Tstms Hi 66°F
Monday: A chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly between noon and 4pm. Partly cloudy, with a high near 77. South wind between 8 and 17 mph, with gusts as high as 29 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms. Monday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 54. West wind between 9 and 14 mph. Tuesday: A chance of showers and thunderstorms after noon. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 73. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms. Tuesday Night: A chance of showers and thunderstorms before midnight. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 55. Chance of precipitation is 30%. Wednesday: A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly cloudy, with a high near 66. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
So much for working on my "tan" on this little jaunt.... the highs in the 70's sounds nice, though! :-D Update: Tonight's earworm.... "Jet Airliner" by the Steve Miller Band. Good song, but....make it stop. Please.

See comments

Written by admin

Published on #Pics and Babbling

Repost0

Published on March 23 2007

Ya wanna know what the most important sign of "spring" is?
closeup.JPG
It's the day Precious hits the road. Yes, Laur has got her wings on again. But would somebody please explain to me what-the-H-E-double hockeysticks this thing is?? wth.JPG
Update: From the local paper:
(Photo story) Carver Nathan Nuszkeiwicz of Rhinelander receives assistance from city public works employees Thursday in dropping the white pine he will use to carve the one-of-a-kind wilderness pole that will soon welcome visitors entering the city along South Tomahawk Avenue. Instead of being carved out of only one section of tree, as the original horizontal design called for, the new landmark will be created out of two sections. The 10-foot-high base of the tree will be flipped and remaining branches will serve as legs for the vertical portion. A 15-foot-long, upper section will be notched and attached horizontally into the vertical portion. Nuszkeiwicz will begin carving the unique structure this week and an unveiling may take place during the city's Fourth of July activities.

See comments

Written by admin

Published on #'Sconsin stuff

Repost0

Published on March 22 2007

Two weeks ago, I saw the first bald eagle of the season soaring above frozen Mohawkskin. Funny, they aren't supposed to be back until there is open water, but there he was... Two days ago, early evening brought the spring solstice. Yesterday it rained most of the day, a warm windy rain that knocked the snow cover down to just the snowbanks that line the streets, mere shadows of the mountains I've climbed and slid down since Fall. This morning as I was driving home from work, I saw the first Canada Goose of the year, all alone and silhouetted honking against the dim dawn. Spring has come to northern Wisconsin! Spring --the time of new beginnings--has also arrived in my life, and I'm eagerly anticipating the lush green growth that I know will follow. (With that observation, I have probably just doomed us to another massive blizzard and arctic coldfront. Probably this weekend.)

See comments

Written by admin

Published on #'Sconsin stuff, #Pics and Babbling

Repost0